Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Call for Case Studies: innovative best practices in archives


Dear colleagues, 

I have signed on to edit a series of books for Scarecrow Press highlighting innovative best practices in archives. I’m excited about this opportunity to learn about and share the best examples of how professionals working in archives and special collections are adapting to changes and creatively solving problems.

I’ll be doing a total of four books in this first round, one each on outreach, reference, management, and description. For now, I’m collecting proposals for case studies for the volume on reference and the volume on outreach. If you want to propose a case study, just send me a short (1-2 paragraph) description of the problem you set out to solve, how you solved it, and what the results have been. Please also include the name of the repository, and your job title. Proposals are due by *Thursday, January 31*.

The final case studies should be about 6-7,000 words.

Don’t be intimidated by that word “innovative.” Sometimes we have a tendency to think what we do isn’t that special or unique. Rather than fixate on whether or not what you did was “innovative,” if you’ve implemented something in your archives or special collections library that you think is effective and other people would be interested in, please send me a proposal.

In addition to this open call, I will also be soliciting case study proposals, so if you know of a person or project that you think would be good to include in these volumes on reference and outreach, please let me know about it so that I can follow up. Case study institutions are not have to limited to any specific type of archives or special collections, and are not limited to the U.S. only.

If you have any questions, I’m happy to answer them here on this post or via email. Please send any questions, proposals or suggestions for me  to follow up on to me at kate.theimer@gmail.com.

I’ll be putting out separate calls for proposals for the books on management and description, so if you want to participate in those books, stay tuned in the next few months.

Best regards,
Kate Theimer

No comments:

Post a Comment