The Reference, Access, and Outreach Section (RAO) of the Society of American Archivists seeks volunteers for at least one unpaid section internship for 2011-2012. The intent is to provide an opportunity for current graduate students, or archivists with less than three years experience in the profession, to be actively involved in and observe the activities of a section. The intern's responsibilities will be based on the number of qualified applicants who apply, the interests and needs of the intern, and the needs and initiatives of the section. The intern will serve from the time of selection through the 2012 SAA Annual Meeting (attendance at the 2012 Annual Meeting is not required).
Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in archives (such as work, volunteering, internships, and/or coursework). Also important are attention to detail, good organizational and communication skills, flexibility, and a sense of humor.
Sample responsibilities include:
*Monitor the RAO blog and Facebook group for potential improvements, revisions and/or corrections, posts or comments requiring responses. The intern may also write news or other items for the RAO News blog or newsletter, and/or postings for the Facebook page.
* Assist the Webmaster as needed, particularly as SAA continues its transition to Drupal to support its online presence.
* Communicate with Steering Committee members regarding ongoing business, projects, concerns, etc.
* Participate in section projects, working groups, sub-committees, etc. as appropriate:
· National History Day,
· Reference-Processing Collaboration Group (the impact of MPLP upon users and reference archivists),
· 23 Things for Archivists (2.0/social media education for archivists),
· Teaching with Primary Resources.
To apply for the RAO Section internship, submit a resume and cover letter detailing your reasons for interest in the internship, including potential topics of interest, to RAO Chair Kathryn Otto (kathryn.otto AT uwrf.edu) by September 16, 2011.